Western Digital Empowers lean patent team through Digital Transformation
The digital transformation of Western Digital’s patent team began 2016, driven by the need to bring together what were, as a result of the company’s M&A activities, different patent teams with three sets of tools and processes.
Faced with the challenge of forming one cohesive, high-performing patent team, David Dutcher, Western Digital’s Chief Patent Counsel, initiated an in-depth review of the tools, processes, and data sources used by each of the patent teams, with the following goals in mind:
- Increase the quality and speed of decisions by empowering IP experts with the right data from various internal and external sources
- Increase efficiency through process optimization and automation, reducing duplication, connecting workflows, and allowing data to move smoothly across systems
After completing an evaluation of the various providers, Western Digital's patent team selected CPA Global as its primary IP solutions provider, beginning a long-term partnership to achieve the patent team digital transformation goals Dutcher had established.
- Amount of patent team’s time spent on value-added activities has increased, spending more time providing counsel to innovation, licensing, and business leaders and less time gathering and processing data.
- Confidence and speed of decision making have increased as a result of solutions that connect subject matter experts to relevant internal and high-quality external patent data.
- Increased efficiency from automated systems that provide direction to internal personnel, outside counsel and service providers allows the patent team to manage a growing portfolio without additional administrative resources.