The IP Platform is a generic platform for hosting CPA Global’s suite of IP-related apps. This Privacy Notice describes how we obtain, use, share and safeguard the personal information of users of the IP Platform itself. In addition, each of the apps within the Platform will have individual privacy notices which detail how personal information will be used therein.
How we collect your information
We will already have your details as a result of existing services supplied by CPA Global to you or the organisation you work for. Your details will have, therefore, been provided to us during the new client on-boarding process. The types of personal information collected is described in the ‘Information we collect’ section below. As part of your contracted services, the IP Platform provides access to our software and services through our apps and we will already hold your corporate and personal data for these purposes within our client information database. This provides you with the ability to sign onto the IP Platform with immediate access under your corporate profile. By using the IP Platform, you give CPA Global your consent to collect, use, disclose, and retain your personal information for the purposes of providing continued access and navigation of the IP Platform. CPA Global will only process personal information on the basis of processing being necessary for the provision of contracted services and for the purposes of the legitimate interest pursued by your organisation (data controller).
What information we collect
We only collect the information which is required to achieve the purposes set out below.
- Registration and Platform Account Information: We already hold certain information as part of your organisation’s existing services with CPA Global, this may include all or some of the following: your title, full name, job title, email address, telephone number, address, country, language, IP areas of interest, and other IP products used (both CPA Global and non-CPA Global). When you use the IP Platform, you are not anonymous. Your name will be visible to other users within your corporate group and you in turn will be able to view other users who are part of your organisation.
- Activity information: When you first access the IP Platform, you will be able to create your own homepage of apps that you wish to see or are relevant to you. We will collect and store this information to ensure that you will always have this visibility when accessing the IP Platform.
We will collect other information (e.g. the content you have viewed and interacted with) from your use of the IP Platform. When you enable features available within the IP Platform, we may collect this information (these could include reports you have generated and requests you have sent through the IP Platform). In addition, we collect information about the content you have viewed in order to improve the relevance of our services.
- Additional information: We may collect additional information if you access our Platform through a specific device (e.g. your mobile device’s unique identifier, information about your device’s operating system, your browser, your browser or operating system language, your wireless network, and your mobile carrier).
Uses and retention
The information we collect from you ensures you can use the IP Platform and services. Your information is retained for as long as it is needed to fulfil the purposes mentioned above and helps us to constantly improve our services and provide you with an efficient experience. As part of this objective, we will use your information for the following purposes:
- Make our service available: We use your existing corporate information to (i) register you for the IP Platform and create your User Account for the IP Platform; (ii) create your profile and make it visible; (iii) create your Username and Password; (iv) provide customer service, give you information about your account, and respond to your requests; (v) personalise your experience by providing relevant content on the service, including targeted promotion of CPA Global services; (vi) improve the service, making it an efficient, and user-friendly experience; and (vii) identify and group other contacts within your organisation under your corporate profile.
- Improve our services: We use activity usage information (as described above) to better detect potential outages and technical issues (such as slower operational speeds) to improve our services. We may look into an activity log-in response to a query you raise. We maintain activity log information for only as long as is needed for business and/or legal purposes.
- Suggest relevant services: As part of our services, CPA Global may use your information to send or inform you of relevant services or events which, based on your activities, we think you may be interested in. If you do not wish to receive such notifications, you may adjust your account settings to decline them or opt-out at any time from receiving further notifications.
- Prevent fraud and spam; enforcement of law: We may use your information to prevent, detect, and investigate fraud, security breaches, potentially prohibit or illegal activities, protect our trademarks and enforce our Platform Access Agreement. We may use your information and activity log information to comply with applicable laws.
- Communicate with you: We may use your information to contact you (via the IP Platform itself, email or telephone) regarding service issues or updates to the IP Platform, or to provide updates about other CPA Global services.
Unless otherwise specified, we retain information as long as it is necessary and relevant for us to achieve the purposes referred to above or to enable us to comply with our legal data protection retention obligations. You consent to our retention of your data for as long as permissible under applicable law – up to one year after you close your account or otherwise withdraw consent.
Sharing your information
CPA Global do not sell your personal information provided by either you or your organisation. We only share your personal information with third-parties outside of CPA Global to ensure the provision and continuation of services, for the purposes listed above, in the following circumstances:
- The CPA Global Group: We may share the information we collect about you with the CPA Global corporate family (a full list of our companies can be found on our CPA Global website: cpaglobal.com/our-locations, and our affiliates and subsidiaries. The information may be disclosed to: (i) provide joint content and our services (e.g. registration, coordination of account management requirements between the CPA Global corporate family, transactions and customer support); (ii) help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts, violations of our policies, fraud and/or data security breaches.
- Service providers and other third-parties: We may disclose your information to service providers and other third-parties under contract who help with providing you our services or other services provided by third-parties via our services (such as, but not limited to, hosting of the IP Platform and related services, network and operations). They are required to secure the data they receive, so that your personal information is guarded.
- Other entities with your consent: We may disclose your information to other third-parties to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information within the use of integrated services (or about whom you are otherwise explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service), these include your agents and Patent or Registry Offices or other entities contracting via the IP Platform.
- Legal and law enforcement: We may disclose your information to law enforcement, governmental agencies, or authorised third-parties, in response to a verified request relating to criminal investigations or alleged illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other CPA Global user to legal liability.
- Change of control – new owners: We may share your information with another business entity, if we plan to merge with or be acquired by that business, or are involved in a transaction with similar financial effect. In such a situation, we would make reasonable efforts to request that the new combined entity or other structure follow this Policy with respect to your personal information. If your personal information was intended to be used differently, we would ask the new entity to provide you with prior notice.
Cookies and tracking technologies
Accessing, reviewing, and changing your personal information
Registered users of the IP Platform can review and change personal information at any time by contacting your Client Engagement Team. We may retain some information from closed accounts so that we can comply with law, prevent fraud, assist with investigations, resolve disputes, analyse, or troubleshoot programs, enforce our Platform Access Agreement, or take other actions permitted by law. Likewise, if your account is closed, we may maintain some information to prevent you from re-registering.
If you are resident in the European Economic Area, you have particular rights in accordance with the applicable laws, concerning your personal data, including: the right to request access to your personal data; to have your personal data corrected, erased or restricted; and the right to object to the use of your personal data for marketing purposes.
Our IP Platform may contain links to other third-party websites (such as global Patent Office websites). We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these third-party sites.
We know that security is important to our users and we care about the security of your information. We maintain technical, physical, and administrative security measures to protect the security of your personal information against loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, or alteration. Some of the safeguards we use include firewalls, data encryption, physical access controls to our data centres and information access authorisation controls. Our third-party providers also have similar or enhanced security protocols to ensure the safeguarding of your data. However, we need your help too: it is your responsibility to make sure that your personal information is accurate and that your password(s) and account information are secure and not shared with third-parties.
Should you have any questions about how we manage your data, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org adding ‘IP Platform Privacy Query’ in the subject line.